Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Walk



I get up at 5 AM on a cool May morning to be obedient
I put on my reflective vest for safety
Head down the street to the intersection
And…
I turn to the east
Looking uphill, the bottoms of the clouds are still indigo
I pass a crabapple tree holding onto its gorgeous blooms
The sweet smell of spring making me smile
Past the park and birds making noise
Like an orchestra warming up.
So many voices and such beautiful sounds
You want to grab a chair and take in the show
The song waning as I approach the highway
As I topped the hill the bottom of the clouds had turned bright pink
And…
I turn to the north
The highway already loud with early morning commuters
A monument to the victorious larger city
That swallowed the small town and turned it into a suburb.
Litter speckled the road
The grittiness of the metro scowered the country gray
Rundown industrial buildings make me uncomfortable
One lone bird challenged the city,
Filling its lungs and screaming its song
But barely being heard behind the numbing hum
I cross the major road
The sky was turning a bright orange
Glimmers of brightness poking up from the horizon
And…
I turn to the west
Into the past and down the town’s old main street
Buildings of importance and necessity
Harrowing back to a lost time
Before technology had dismantled us
The original residers long gone
Replaced with new business and hopes
The birds living in the trees lining the streets brightly singing
The town was alive within the city
And although it was forever changed
It was still it’s own
The emerging light behind me
Reflecting back at me in the windows that lay ahead
The clouds in the west had started wearing their purple hues
And…
I turn to the south
I look to the left
The sky exploding in peach, apricot, and bright yellow
Driving away the long cool night
The store’s sign telling me
Everything must go before the new inventory arrives
I cross the major road again
The shift turnover was clogging the street, coming and going
Even more birds were chiming in
Intoxicating lilacs motivating me faster
The western clouds had turned red
And…
I turn to the east
The sun just coming over the horizon
The colors of the Earth waking with it
And the remaining birds join the crowd
Applauding the new day, and my motivation
A crow flew past me, heading west
So close I could hear his black wings pushing the air
A seagull was flying toward the east
High in the sky glowing yellow with the dawn
I push to my street and head toward my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 26th...