Saturday, February 3, 2024

10 Years

Today,  I am ten years sober. 

It really was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.  I don't miss it.  I don't miss the draining of my wallet.  I don't miss the feeling of being hungover constantly.  I don't miss watching it physically hurt me.  I don't miss sheepishly apologizing for wildly inappropriate behavior the next day.  I don't miss the weight gain.  I don't miss being a drunk.

I still miss the friend I thought I had.

My first counselor told me two lists to remember as I started this journey.

The first is to create a foundation by making sure the following things are in your life:

  • 1) Some kind of physical activity
  • 2) Some relationship with whatever higher power you follow, or regular quiet personal meditation if you don't have a higher power you follow.
  • 3) A counselor to talk with
The second list was just as simple:
  • Love yourself.
  • Love others.
  • Have others love you.
The liquor industry spends a lot of money trying to make you convinced you HAVE TO drink to have fun.  You don't.  That's a lie and the fun I have now is far more rewarding and memorable than the fun I had before.

Get help if you need it, but don't feel like you have to drink anymore if you don't want to.  My stopping saved my life on many levels.




No comments:

Post a Comment

October 26th...