Thursday, February 3, 2022

The Great 8

Eight Years.

I've been sober for eight years.  I feel pretty good about it, although this last year has been tough.  I'm not saying 'sitting outside of a liquor store trying to give myself a reason to not go in' tough, but rather I had a lot to chew on mentally and physically.

I nearly died of a kidney issue in May of last year.  I initially was blaming my drinking for damaging my kidneys, but my doctor said most health consequences from drinking are gone after the first year, and pretty much completely gone after the second.  Nope, I just got unlucky.  The lucky part was the top notch medical team who saved me. 

I then had hip replacement surgery in October.  I thought I was really young for it, but I was surprised at how many people younger than me have had one.  It made for a slow end of the year, but I'm back at it already.

Having teenagers in the house also is a delightful burst of stress energy.  I love being a parent, but every age has its challenges.

Had COVID in January, but thanks to my vaccination and booster, I was asymptomatic. 

I'm still sober.  I highly recommend it.  You have a shocking amount of extra money, everything in your life doesn't revolve around drinking, and your mind works a hell of a lot better.  You do what you want, but hopefully I never fall off the wagon.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 26th...