Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Yard

It's been a busy year
And with all of the fluster of life,
I noticed I still needed to do some work.
In my yard.

When I bought my house,
My backyard was a mess.
The previous owner had numerous dogs,
Which had destroyed the verdant display.

My reclamation project was tedious,
But successful.
What was once a grainy dirt,
Bloomed a vibrant patch, my patch
of emerald grass.

Over the years I've tended to it,
Maintained and fixed,
Weeded and treated,
Mowed and watered.
There were times where grass,
Would die off.
I would grab the seed and rake.

Now my yard features beautiful scars.
Muddy dirt tracks created by my children,
Playing with each other on warm days.
The kickball home plate,
The bullpen my son uses to practice,
Loving blemishes I dare not fix.

This year, the winter snow
Left some dead spots on the grass
Abutting the driveway.
There was also the never ending problem
Of the grass on my yard's other side
By the neighbors.
They accidentally spilled fuel one year,
Child debris from the day care kids she watches,
And when he comes back at all hours,
He usually will miss the driveway with his tires
Leaving a sad mess.

I have the time this year.
I made it a late summer priority.
With rake and seed in hand,
I took on the troubled areas,
Sowing and watering until,
The kelly turf started to sprout.

The yard, with it's new imperfections, blossoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

October 26th...